Friday, August 26, 2016

Silence is Golden

Ever since I can remember I’ve been rather articulate and never shy in expressing myself.  I still have memories of my mother looking rather agitated as she reminded me that “silence was golden”. I never really bought in to that philosophy, as when I was talking I felt in control…people were listening to me…whether they wanted to or not.

As an emerging leader, I felt the need to share my vision, express myself freely and often with little or no filters to all those within ear shot. I was passionate with a clear vision that I wanted everyone to hear.

Later in life I realized the value of listening, of engaging others into conversation, rather than dictating my ideas, my agenda.  Asking questions and leaving people with more questions than answers, serve as a sounding board for further DISCUSSIONS as we moved forward together.

My dad, by contrast to me was a man of few words. In his silence, he taught me so much and when he did speak his words resonated with me…some sooner…some later…some much later.  One such nugget that took me a while to comprehend and embrace was the notion that when I’m speaking, I’m learning nothing new…hmmmm…Silence IS golden…

Be good to yourself…



No comments:

Post a Comment