- VISION – Not only have a vision, but SHARE it and share it often. Let your members know where they are going and trust them to make wise decisions to get there.
- EXCITEMENT - Get jazzed about something. Folks are tired of long faces on their leaders. If you think it makes you look important; in reality, you look depressed.
- BE HONEST - Don’t pretend it’s easy, just believe your team can find a way forward if everyone pulls together.
- PRAISE OTHERS - Tell the team about extraordinary efforts, remarkable results, and positive energy exhibited by others.
- SAY THANK YOU – Yes, we’re all getting paid to do our job, but gratitude is cost effective.
- BE LOYAL - The leaders who influence the most are loyal to individuals that hang with the people they believe in when times get tough.
- HONEST FEEDBACK - People WANT to know how they are doing. Nearly every person I ask says they would like more feedback; good and bad.
- LOOK AT BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN - See life from other points of view, not just your own.
- PRIORITIES - Sharing and having a life outside of work and encouraging members of your team to do the same.
- INSPIRATION – Inspire others to want to do more, learn more and be more.
Interestingly enough, not one of these things cost a penny, but is worth everything…
Be good to yourself…