Friday, May 12, 2017

Mom and Leadership

As we prepare for Mother’s Day, memories of my mother swirl about my head. While reminiscing, it occurred to me that my mother was perhaps my first real example of leadership. Consider…
1. A leader never loses sight of their vision – I think, universally; mothers are the true inventors of “multi-tasking.” Not only are they doing 10 things at once, but the unexpected happens routinely. Mothers calmly (ok sometimes was calmer than other times) resolve the issues and keep to the task(s) at hand.
2. A leader demonstrates patience in waiting for the desired outcome – I can only speak from personal experience here, but trust me…my mother was EXTREMELY patient with me, always believing in me, trying to instill patience in me when I wanted to quit, give up, and move on.
 3. A leader encourages their team to be self-sufficient - Although the general definition of a leader is someone others follow, the fact is to be a true leader means developing your team members so that over time, they will no longer need your direct support in order to achieve growth and success.
4. A leader knows how to inspire others – Mother’s have multiple tools in their tool chest to help motivate and inspire each of us to be more than we ever imagined. And it appears that when analyzed and dissected the inspiration came directly from the heart…not from the rod…
So this Mother’s Day, celebrate your mom and learn from her…never lose sight of your vision, be patient, encourage those around you to lead and be self-sufficient…and always…always lead from the heart…
Be good to yourself…
For Archived “Krause Quips”



No comments:

Post a Comment