Friday, October 9, 2015

When You Stumble, Make It Part Of Your Dance!

I was pretty clumsy as a kid. My mother would make me put my hands in my pocket as we walked through a department store out of fear that I would knock something over. She swore that I could trip over the pattern of the rug…which my wife would attest that I still do on occasion. I learned early in life that when you stumble, it’s better to make it part of your dance.

As leaders, there are times that we trip, when things don’t go as smoothly as we had hoped, or we simply missed the crack in the path which threw us off balance.  As humans, we’re not expected to be perfect. Everyone stumbles, or even falls on occasion. What’s important, and what our followers really watch with intent, isn’t so much the fall, but how we REACT TO IT. Do we blame others? Do we pretend it never happened? Do we get angry? OR do we simply “make it part of our dance” learning as we go?

As one who has stumbled often, literally and figuratively, I can attest to the joys of making up a new dance…sometimes others join in and you find yourself and your organization moving forward instead of blaming others, pretending it didn’t happen, or simply getting angry. The choice is yours…

Be good to yourself



No comments:

Post a Comment