Friday, January 13, 2017

I Am NOT Throwing Away My Shot!

A few weeks ago my wife and I had the good fortune of seeing Chicago’s production of the hit musical, Hamilton.  The show lived up to every bit of the hype that surrounds the production. The music, the fast paced, energetic libretto filled the theater whisking us back to a historical time in the familiar world of politics.  

I couldn’t help but to notice striking similarities with the politics of today and the leadership our founding father’s exhibited nearly 250 years ago.  Certainly times have changed, but determination, communication, shared vision and values, mixed in with persuasion, and simply being in the right place at the right time serve leaders past, present and future.

Of particular interest to me was how leaders were made, skills honed and mentors needed as the emerging leaders forged ahead in uncharted waters learning along the way.

In Hamilton’s “words”…

I am not throwing away my shot!
I am not throwing away my shot!
Hey yo, I’m just like my country
I’m young, scrappy and hungry
And I’m not throwing away my shot!
I’m ‘a get a scholarship to King’s College
I prob’ly shouldn’t brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish
The problem is I got a lot of brains but no polish
I gotta holler just to be heard
With every word, I drop knowledge!
I’m a diamond in the rough, a shiny piece of coal
Tryin’ to reach my goal.

As leaders it is our duty to perpetuate our profession and mentor those who are destined to take our place…to give them “their shot” and in return, our legacy lives through them…

Be good to yourself…


No comments:

Post a Comment